Thursday, June 10, 2010
Toor Dal - 1 cup
Drumstick - 1
Sambar Onions - 100 gms
Sambar Powder - 1 tsp
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Tamarind pulp - small lime size
Coriander Leaves - few chopped
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt to Taste
Turmeric a pinch
Mustard Seeds + Urud Dal + Fenugreek - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - few
Garlic - 4 pods
Method to Prepare:
1. Clean Toor Dal and pressure cook it with 2 drops of Oil and turmeric.
2. This makes it cook fast. Keep it for 2 whistle.
3. Soak tamarind and extract pulp from it.
4. Chop onions, tomatoes, keep aside.
5. Chop drumstick, the outer skin is also very healthy, so should not be peeled. Chop them into finger length pieces
6. Boil a cup of water and once it starts boiling, drop in drumstick and cook till its tender. This should not be pressure cooked as it gets over cooked.
7. To the cooked Dal, add the chopped tomatoes and Sambar powder, salt.
8. Cook for another whistle. Finally add the tamarind pulp along with required water. Bring to boil. simmer it while you temper with seasonings.
9. Heat oil in a pan, add the seasoning ingredients.
10. Then add chopped onions, Once they are golden in colour, add to the simmering dal along with cooked drumstick pieces.
11. Cook on high flame for 5 mins, then simmer for 10 mins till its cooked well. Garnish with coriander leaves.