Monday, May 31, 2010
1/2 cup - black gram dal/urad dal/minappappu
1 cup - rice
1 cup - bengal gram/channa dal/sengapappu
1 cup - grated jaggery (adjust according to your choice)
1/4 cup - fresh grated coconut (optional)
3/4 tsp - cardamom powder
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
1. Drain water from the black gram dal and rice and grind to fine paste adding very little water.
2. It should be like a thick dosa batter.
3. Add a pinch of salt and mix well. Leave aside covered.
4. Cook bengal gram with just enough water to cover the dal.
5. The dal should be just cooked and hold shape.
6. Drain any left over water from the dal after its cooked.
7. Add jaggeryto the dal and use a masher to mash them together till it blends well.
8. Take a heavy-bottomed vessel and add the ground dal paste and cook till it appears like a thick paste.
9. stir continuously as the dal tends to stick to the vessel. Turn off heat and cool.
10. Add grated coconut, cardamom powder and mix well.
11. Shape small bite sized balls.
12. Heat enough oil in a wide heavy bottomed vessel for deep frying the balls.
13. Dip each ball in the batter and let it coat evenly and place in the oil and deep fry till golden brown.
14. You can deep fry a batch of four to five balls depending on the size of the vessel.
15. Serve warm. Store in an air tight container as they last for at least two days.