Raw rice (cook in a way that each grain is separate, spread to cool) - 2cups
Haldi - 1/4tsp
Fresh curry leaves
Large lemon sized tamarind (soak in a cup of hot water and extract pulp)
Jaggery - 1tsp
Channa dal (split bengal gram) - 1&1/2tbsp
Urad dal/minappapu/split black gram - 1/2tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Dry red chilli - 6
Green chillis slit length wise - 8
Finely chopped ginger - 1tbsp
Hing - pinch
Roasted sesame seeds pwd (til) - 2tbsp
Peanuts - 1/3cup
Oil - 3tbsp
1. Cook raw rice adding 1tsp salt , 1/2 tsp haldi, 1tsp oil, 1/2 tbsp channa dal ,few curry leaves in a ratio of 1:2(1cup rice 2 cups water)
2. Spread the cooked rice in a plate and keep aside.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a cooking vessel, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
4. Add dry red chillis, peanuts, channa dal, urad dal and fry for a minute till light brown.
5. Next add the slit green chillis, ginger, asafoetida and few curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
6. Add the tamarind extract and jaggery and cook till the raw smell of tamarind disappears, approx 5-7 mts.
7. It will be a like a thick but flowing paste. Remove from heat.
8. Add the cooked tamarind mix and combine well such that its spread all over the rice.
9. Adjust salt.
10. Finally sprinkle the roasted sesame seeds pwd and combine well.
11. Let it sit for at least 3-4 hours for the flavors to set in.
Goes rally very good with spicy aloo fry and papad.................