1 1/2 cup - whole urad dal/black gram dal/minappappu
1 tbsp - raw rice
2″ - ginger very finely chopped
2-3 - green chillies very finely chopped
1 big - onion finely chopped
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
1. Soak whole black gram dal and 1 tbsp raw rice for 5-6 hours.
2. Strain the water from the dal and grind to a paste sprinkling little water and salt.
3. Don’t grind all the dal at once, use small portions to grind batch wise as its easier to grind into a soft paste. 4. Add salt while grinding to a fluffy paste.
5. Then add chopped onions, finely chopped ginger and green chillies to the batter and mix well.
6. Take a heavy bottomed vessel and add enough oil for deep frying.
7. The oil should be hot.
8. Wet your hands with water and take a lemon sized ball and flatten it into a vada on a greased sheet or banana leaf.
9. Make a hole in the centre of the vada or gare so that it cooks evenly all over.
10. Slowly drop it into the hot oil carefully and fry it on both sides on medium heat to a golden brown colour.