1. When you soak rice and urad dal for idlis and dosas, wash everything thoroughly before soaking. Later use the soaked water while grinding. If you wash rice and dal after soaking you will lose most of the vitamins.
2. Excess salt in any dish can be brought down by adding diced potatoes, tomatoes or a teaspoon of sugar.
3. When you are making vadas, if the batter is watery - you will have the problem of oil splattering when you fry it. Add a tablespoon of ghee to the batter and your problem will be solved.
4. Don't salt meat before you cook it. Always salt meat halfway through cooking. (little less than what is required). Then taste the meat when it is done and then add salt as needed.
5. To thicken any gravy or soup add corn flour to it. It is an excellent thickening agent. Remember to mix it in good water before adding to avoid lumps.
6. While making any pasta add salt to the boiling water in which you are cooking it. That will be the only chance you get to salt it. Add salt after the water boils. If you add it before , it will take a longer time to boil.
7. To avoid sticky rice, soak washed rice in water for at least ten minutes before cooking. A teaspoon of oil can be added to get separate grains of cooked rice.
8. While make any deep fried dish, if the hot oil starts foaming and rises in the pan, add a small piece of tamarind to the oil. This will prevent foaming and spill over.
9. If you want to have soft idlis, do not beat the batter before pouring idlis. The air bubble sin the batter helps you to get soft idlis. Beating the batter removes these air bubbles.
10. Chill onion is refrigerator before cutting to avoid tears. One other way to avoid tears is to soak peeled onion is water before cutting.
11. To get crisp, golden dosas add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to the urad dal and grind it.
12. To make a healthy chicken dish remove the skin from the chicken. This will remove the major fat content on the chicken.
13. Add a pinch of sugar while cooking any green leaf vegetables. This will help maintain the bright green color.
14. For maintaining the bright color of any vegetable don't forget to put it in ice cold water as soon as you blanch them.
15. To keep apples from turning brown, add little citrus juice like the juice of a lemon or orange and toss apples in it.
16. A pinch of turmeric powder added to all kinds of dal when cooking hastens the cooking process.
17. Remove the stems from chilies before storing them. This will keep them fresher for a long time.
18. It is better to use round dishes in the microwave oven rather than square or rectangular dishes as round dishes spread heat faster.
19. Oil applied to dal before it is cooked helps it to cook faster by softening the proteins.
Healthy Tips :
1. If you are from a family where diabetics runs in the hereditary, try having few curry leaves every morning for 100 days. This is believed to prevent diabetics
2. Taking raw curry leaves daily helps prevent premature graying of hair.
3. Are you having high blood pressure or excessive cholesterol - take raw garlic in empty stomach everyday. This significantly reduces blood pressure and cholesterol.
4. Indigestion ? - Add 3-4 crushed cloves of garlic to boiling milk and drink it. It gives immediate relief.
5. Are you having difficulty sleeping ? - Take the juice of a few coriander leaves by grinding them. Mix it in hot water and have it before going to bed. You will have a restful sleep.
6. Mix coriander juice with buttermilk and drink it to treat indigestion.
7. If you are anemic - add fenugreek leaves (methi leaves) to your food more often. It really helps.
8. For cold relief - take the juice of ginger, mix it with honey and lime juice and drink it.
9. For indigestion/acidity - drink lime juice mixed with ginger juice.
10. Pudina (Mint) helps in digestion
11. For asthma relief - take 3-4 cloves of garlic. boil it in milk and drink it every night.
12. Banana helps wash fatty wastes from kidneys, is soothing to the digestive tract and helps relieve constipation and diarrhea
13. Oatmeal helps reduce cholesterol. Regularly eating oatmeal for breakfast results in significant reduction of cholesterol in a few days