Onions - 2 finely chopped
Tomato - 1 finely chopped
Green chillis - 2 slit lengthwise
Red chilli powder - 1tbsp
Coriander pwd - 1tsp
Turmeric pwd - pinch
Jaggery, grated - pinch
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnish
Oil - 1tbsp
For tempering :
Mustard seeds - 1/4tsp
Methi seeds - 6
Few curry leaves
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add mustard seeds and let them pop, add methi and curry leaves fry for a half a minute till the flavors come out and take care not to burn them.
3. Add the chopped onions and green chillis and saute for a minute.
4. Add the okra pieces and salt and combine.
5. Cook on medium flame for 12-14 mts or till the onions and okra are lightly browned.
6. Add chilli pwd, coriander pwd, turmeric pwd and salt and combine well.
7. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook further for another 4-5 mts.
8. Add the grated jaggery and tamarind pulp along with approx three cups of water.
9. Bring to a boil and reduce flame and cover with lid.
10. Let it cook for 8-10 mts till the gravy thickens slightly. Remember, ‘pulusu’ is a gravy dish and should be of a slightly watery consistency.
11. Once cooked, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.